Dog Breeds : How to Select a Cocker Spaniel
How cocker spaniels differ from other breeds
As you know, a dog is a friend of man. What other animal is able to look so faithfully in the eyes and love its master more than anything else? Each breed of these pets is special in its own way: small pocket dogs live in the house and never leave their owner; hunting dogs are large, they are given for hunting waterfowl.
Characteristics of the breed
Large pets are inconvenient to keep in an apartment, so they are usually kept by people living in their house. These are such dogs as Great Dane, Wolfhound, St. Bernard. However, not all hunting dogs are large. This also includes medium-sized animals such as the English Cocker Spaniel.
This purebred dog is very easy to distinguish from others - it is medium in size, has long hair and drooping ears. They are not capricious, always full of energy. Despite the fact that it is a hunting dog, some people have these animals simply because they are beautiful.
But in this case, you need to remember: these pets love freedom. Therefore, you need to walk in nature with them more often. For example, the English Cocker Spaniel breed is very hardy, and hunting instincts are in its blood.
The word spaniel comes from the English combination of words jumps high , and cocker in English it is a woodcock (forest bird), especially for hunting this bird and dogs of this breed were bred.
In addition to drooping ears, the description of the English Cocker Spaniel includes:
- Dark eyes. They are usually brown, and different dogs may have different shades of eyes: light, dark brown;
- The body of the animal resembles a square, and the muzzle is a rectangle, the nose is wide;
- Strong and even trunk that bends only slightly when approaching the croup;
- The front legs are short, but strong, due to which the animal stands confidently on its feet;
- The shoulders are not straight, but slightly slanted, so they look together with the body as a whole;
- There are pads on the paws of the animal, thanks to which it is able to very quietly sneak up on the game;
- You can often see these pets with a docked tail, this operation is carried out for the convenience of hunting.
Of course, if you decide to get a dog of this breed, then you need to think about what is the best way to feed an English Cocker Spaniel. Cocker Spaniel puppy nutrition is not much different from pitFor an adult pet, they just need to be given not 200-300 grams of boiled meat per day, but 50. It is not recommended to give bones.
The diet of this breed contains:
- cereals and bread (this is not the main food of the dog, it is only for a change; it is better to cook buckwheat porridge, rice in milk, while adding vegetables);
- eggs (soft boiled or omelette);
- fruits, vegetables (greens, carrots, pumpkin, zucchini, it is better to finely chop them and add butter or sour cream);
- milk and dairy products (cheese, cottage cheese with kefir are very useful).
Also, do not be afraid to pamper your pet with treats such as crackers, dried fruits. It is especially convenient to use them during training. By the way, dogs need garlic for their health to avoid worms.
You should also pay attention to the fact that your four-legged friend gets used to food, and if you feed him certain foods from birth, he will get used to them and will eat almost only this food.
What kind of care is required for this breed of dogs
The following guidelines for English Cocker Spaniel care should be followed:
- you need to brush your dog every day to prevent the coat from falling to shreds;
- you need to clean your pet's hair with brushes, rags;
- you shouldn't bathe him often;
- the animal should be walked at least twice a day;
- food should be complete;
- English Cocker Spaniel should be trimmed regularly;
- periodically you need to cut the dog's claws, brush her teeth with a special paste;
- the pet's ears must be cleaned daily with a special solution, and while eating, they must be tied up so that they do not interfere with it;
- Check your dog's ears after walking for ear mites.
A special species of Cocker Spaniels was bred in Russia. This is the Russian version of the Cocker Spaniel, created specifically for our conditions. These dogs are able to hunt birds such as ducks and hares.
Russian spaniel character
Spaniels in Russia are calm, but not indifferent, they lend themselves well to training, but sometimes at puppyhood, babies can show disobedience. After the puppy is one year old, he begins to recognize his own and others and to truly become attached to the owner. Russian hunting cockers perfectly track game, and then quickly find it and bring it to the owner. These dogs are very playful, kind, they quickly get into hunting excitement.
The color of Russian spaniels is different - brown, black, red, brown-piebald, black-piebald, black and tan, there are also other shades of these colors.
It should be noted that the American Cocker Spaniel has a thick and long coat. The coat of dogs is silky and wavy. The eyes are mostly thoserich, brown. The color of American hunting dogs is one-color, two- and three-color.
They are very friendly by nature and can become a real friend to children. They do not tolerate loneliness, so they cannot be left alone for a long time. By the way, American Spaniels get along well with other pets, are well trained, obedient and full of friendliness.
It is necessary to pay special attention to the diet of cocker spaniels. These dogs are always hungry, but it is often impossible to give them food, as this can provoke obesity. Some of the owners of these pets follow a specific diet.
Playing is the favorite pastime of Cocker Spaniels. It awakens in them their natural instincts - to seek and bring something. These pets get along very well with children, and help them develop physically, because catching up with a shaggy friend is not so easy.