I Tried Following a Real Edwardian Hair Care Routine
Selection and care of a comb made from natural materials
The health of the hair depends to a certain extent on the correct choice of a tool for combing hair - a brush or a comb. The toolkit helps to comb and unravel the strands, massage the dermis of the head, remove dust from the surface of the curls and evenly distribute the sebum over the entire surface of the head.
And combs made of natural materials - wood or natural bristles also prevent the formation of static electricity, give the curls a beautiful shine. Let's talk about the latter type in more detail: we will find out what a comb for hair with natural bristles is, how to choose it and how to properly care for such a comb.
Differences between brushes and brushes made of natural materials
The main difference between brushes with bristles and brushes with synthetic material is the material properties itself. Natural materials do not injure or tear hairs, do not cause the effect of static electricity.
In addition, a comb made of natural bristles is surprisingly soft, which allows you to use the tool on hair with increased fineness or brittleness.
Visually, it is sometimes difficult to distinguish natural from artificial material, especially since there are high quality fakes in stores, but still one simple test can be done: take a comb and pull out a few fibers from it.
Set the villi on fire with matches or a lighter, and if you feel an unpleasant odor during the burning process of the material, and the villi itself turns into a small ball, we can safely say that the hair of a comb is of synthetic nature.
Tips for choosing the right tool from natural materials
You need to know how to choose the right natural bristle combs. Then you will buy a really useful hair care tool. Some ladies mistakenly believe that it is enough to buy the most expensive and branded option and then the comb will be of high quality and will perfectly take care of the curls. This is not so: it is high time to remember that the brand does not guarantee quality and that the tool is 100% suitable for your hair, you need to carefully study the material and other features of the tool.
Combing base can bemade of the following materials:
- Pork bristles. Most often, we are talking about the bristles not of a domestic animal, but of a wild boar. Such a pile is noticeably stiff, but it is easy to tilt it, you just need to press on the villi with the pad of your finger. Such a comb will be convenient for combing out thin and split ends, hair, which is not particularly dense. Owners of short and ultra-short haircuts can use the tool in everyday hair care. Such a massage brush is categorically not suitable for curly or thick curls - you will not comb this type of hair with this type of comb. But you can safely buy this particular type of tool if you are going to use it exclusively for applying and distributing aromatic oils over the surface of the strands;
- Mixed version. Mixed pile means that the manufacturer has combined two materials in the manufacture of the comb base: natural pile and artificial pile. Such a brush will have two main advantages: it will perfectly remove the effect of static electricity, as well as comb the strands with high quality. But there are also disadvantages: if you want to massage your head with such a tool, you can scratch the sensitive dermis of the head with artificial villi, and besides, the comb will poorly distribute sebum along the length of the strands. This type of tool is suitable for all hair types;
- Horsehair products are surprisingly soft. Because of this softness, this material is often reinforced with other types of pile inserts. Product advantages: using a comfortable massage comb with natural horsehair bristles, you are guaranteed not to damage either the hair structure or the scalp. After combing, the curls acquire airiness and a beautiful pronounced shine, split ends and stratification of hairs do not form, the static effect disappears. However, for everyday hair care, a horsehair brush is only suitable for owners of thin hair or small children whose hair is soft.
Whalebone combs represent a separate category of tools.
Whale whisker - this is the name of a special type of horny plate, the inner side of which has been split into many separate setae. The tool is quite tough, it combes well even the thickest strands, it perfectly distributes sebum over the hair. Suitable for owners of voluminous hair and lush curls, to cope with combing dense and tough curls.
Pros and cons of using a natural material tool
The advantages of products with natural pile include the following qualities:
- Natural scallops with daily combing provide the scalp with a full massage, and therefore blood circulation in the dermis of the head is excellent, the hair follicles receive oxygen and nutrients in fulla;
- Combs made from natural materials perfectly comb out even the most tangled strands without damaging or injuring the hairs. It is because of these qualities that professionals use combs with natural bristles to create bouffants. If you use synthetic combs to create a pile, it turns out not so lush, quickly falls off;
- The use of this kind of tools makes hair softer, more manageable, and returns a pleasant healthy shine to the hair. But the products also have disadvantages. Let's list the main disadvantages of scallops:
- Not suitable for care of thick and coarse hair, as they cannot comb through the strands with the described qualities. When hair is thick and stiff, natural combs can be used for head massage and aroma care;
- They are more expensive than their synthetic counterparts.
In addition, the instrument requires regular and specific maintenance.
Tips for the care of natural scallops
Natural bristle tools need daily care. How to care for your favorite natural bristle comb?
It is advisable to clean such a comb daily from accumulations of hairs and remove dust from them. You can clean the pile manually by hand: the hairs are selected, and dust from the surface of the pile is brushed off with a soft piece of cloth.
But it is known that over time, natural bristles can become clogged with excess sebum, and therefore the scallop will need deep cleaning. Below are detailed instructions on how to clean homemade natural bristle combs.
Pour warm water into a clean container, add a little vinegar there and put your scallop in the solution. Let it lie in the solution for 10 minutes - so the accumulated sebum will peel off from the surface of the villi and the comb will be disinfected.
Then take a small sponge, drip some regular shampoo onto its surface and thoroughly wash the nap of the tool. Rinse in clean water and let the instrument dry.
Happy choice and pleasant combing!